Housing Payment Assistance

Get help now with rent and mortgage payments

Are you having trouble paying your rent or mortgage because of the COVID-19 pandemic? Have you lost your job or lost income during the Covid-19 health crisis? Are you at risk of becoming homeless?

You may be eligible to receive help with paying your rent or mortgage. Beverly, Salem, and Peabody residents are encouraged to apply today!

In addition, the Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities (EOHLC) offers two programs that can assist low-income households. Find Spanish language resources about these programs.

The Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) and Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance (ERMA) programs may provide income-eligible households with up to $10,000 to pay overdue or future rent or mortgage costs. NSCAP can assist you in your application for these programs.

Call or email NSCAP today for answers to your questions about the programs available and for application information!

For more detailed information about the programs including eligibility guidelines, please visit Mass.gov


Contact us TODAY to apply or ask questions!

Call 978-548-5776 or email NSCAP at funds2020@nscap.org



  • There are three key factors in determining eligibility for funds:
      1. City of residence (Beverly, Salem, and Peabody);
      2. ability to prove loss of income due to COVID-19;
      3. AMI (click here for area median income table). A household’s AMI must be under 50% for Salem residents; under 80% AMI for Peabody residents; below 100% AMI for Beverly residents.
  • Households composed of two or more people living together, one of whom is a dependent child under the age of 21. A pregnant mother qualifies if she is the head of household.
  • Individuals, families with older children, couples without children, unaccompanied youth, and households of any size.
  • Household must provide documentation/proof that they are currently experiencing a housing crisis:
    • For households with rental arrears: Written documentation of rental arrears, demonstration of a financial hardship (reduction in revenue and/or increase in expenses) that caused the nonpayment of rent, and demonstration that payment of the arrears will allow the household to retain their housing.
    • For households facing eviction: Summary Process Summons and Complaint. Tenants who have a housing subsidy and are facing eviction due to non-payment of rent must also provide proof of financial hardship that explains cause for arrears in order to receive assistance.
    • For households leaving doubled-up housing: Letter from landlord or primary tenant explaining that the family must leave. This must also include the address, date, and contact name and info of person writing letter.  A copy of new lease or letter of intent to rent for new apartment.
    • For households leaving unsafe housing: Verification of unsafe housing conditions and copy of new lease/letter of intent to rent for new apartment.
    • For households facing foreclosure or mortgage arrears: Current mortgage statement and letter from lender indicating that family is at least 30 days in arrears and at risk of foreclosure.
    • For households facing utility shutoff: Utility shutoff notice and current bill.
How to Access

Complete the Pre-Application available on this page as well as all necessary forms (located below). If you have questions about the application, please contact NSCAP at the email and phone number provided below.




Tenant/Landlord Questions? Contact the Essex County Bar Lawyer For A Day Program

Call 978-500-5790 or email housingLDP@essexcountybar.net

  • Landlord's Contact Information

    *Landlord MUST participate in this program. If this is left blank, the application is incomplete and will not be considered.
  • Household Information

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Applications and all supporting documents must be attached and provided to NSCAP via this form. A checklist of submittal documents is provided below. NSCAP may request additional information, if necessary, to make a determination of eligibility.
    1. Completed Application Form (you do not need to upload anything for this if you are filling out this webform)
    2. Identification – Identification for all household members (valid Massachusetts ID or passport; birth certificates are acceptable for children).
    3. First page of lease showing names of tenant and landlord and rent amount, and last page of lease showing signatures. If no lease, attach a letter of email from landlord attesting to tenancy and monthly rent.
    4. A letter or email from tenant to landlord requesting a rent reduction due to COVID-19 related income loss.
    Documentation of Emergent Need:
    1. Evidence of reduced income:
      • a. A layoff or furlough letter for each household member who lost income due to COVID; OR:
      • b. At least 2 paystubs, one from before and one after COVID crisis, for each household member who lost income due to COVID, showing decline in pay over the period, OR:
      • c. An Unemployment Insurance statement. d. If none of these are available, bank statements showing a decline in deposits from before and after COVID, along with an explanation of income source will be considered. (An Odd-Jobs Form where such income can be documented is available by request at NSCAP: 978-531-067, ext. 309 or email funds2020@gmail.com)
    2. Verification of Income
      • a. One most recent paystub for all additional employed household members over the age of 18, even if they did not lose income.
      • b. Documentation of any other income sources (unemployment, alimony, pension/retirement, etc.).
      • c. Most recent bank statements for the bank accounts of all household members over the age of 18.
      • d. Documentation of other relief sources for which the household has applied and is awaiting a response. Rental assistance payments to qualified applicants will be made directly to landlords. A W-9 form must be completed by the landlord for payment to be made. Landlords will also be asked to provide a de-leading certification for all units built prior to 1978; this certification is preferred but is not required for participation in the program.
  • Drop files here or
    Max. file size: 50 MB.
    About NSCAP

    NSCAP provides social services that enable families and individuals to obtain the skills and knowledge they need to become economically self-sufficient, and civically engaged, and to live in dignity and decency.

    Contact Us

    119 Rear Foster Street, Building 13
    Peabody, MA 01960

    Home Energy Assistance